Friday, February 25, 2011

Mendenhall Glacier in the Winter


Probably the most popular attraction in Juneau is the Mendenhall Glacier.  A friend of mine who came with me on the ferry is visiting for the week so I took her and Millie to visit the glacier.  Our plan was to hike one of the trails, but since the lake was iced over, we decided to walk to it before going on a trail.  Unfortunately, I completely underestimated the distance across the lake so what I thought was going to be a one hour round-trip ended up being like a 3 hour ordeal.  My friend didn't complain but I think she might have been cursing me inside.  It was a bit tough trudging through the snow without much of a trail.  Needless to say, we didn't bother with any of the actual trails. 

Maybe because it's midweek & winter, there weren't too many people there.  We saw couple other people returning as we headed out, and that was about it.  Most people remained close to the visitors center.  Since there was no one around nearby, I was able to let Millie off-leash and run around.  She got a really good exercise that day hopping through the powder. 

Once I got near the glacier, I could see a small waterfall coming down the glacier.  The surface also looked cracked where past footprints ended.  Unfortunately that meant that the water near the glacier might perhaps not be so solid, so we didn't get right up to the face of the glacier.  We got a pretty good view of it though from where we did get to. 

The visitors center had a lot of good information on the glacier and the surrounding mountains.  Forgot to get a trail map though.  I suspect I'll be hitting a lot of the trails in that area once all the snow melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment