Wednesday, February 23, 2011

First Impressions of Juneau

Echo Cove
I was already awed by the views coming into Juneau.  Once in town and driving around, I saw that it was beautiful everywhere.  I realize that it's a place where it normally rains a lot, but I am glad for the sunny spell we had this week as now I know how beautiful the city can get.  Everywhere you go there is a view of the mountains and/or water.  The recent snowfalls probably also made the city even more beautiful than usual.  I can't wait until the warmer season so I can get out and explore the hiking trails around the city.

In addition to being beautiful, the city has enough of the basics to get me by:  Costco, Wal-mart, McDonald's, Subway, and Home Depot.  I also discovered a store called Fred Meyer.  It's like a Super Wal-mart or Target but even better.  Prices aren't all that bad either - probably comparable to back home.  Gas is about $3.50/gal - about the same as in Seattle.

So far everyone I have met here are friendly and don't really have any complaints about anything.  Finding a dog friendly rental has been a bit tough, but I think I may have a place.  In any case, so far so good.  I'm enjoying Juneau.

1 comment: