Saturday, February 2, 2013

Road Trip Grand Plan


We now have one week to go until my trip back to Virginia begins.  On Thursday the packers will come, and they will load on Friday.  I took Wednesday off to prep, so I only have two more days of work here - yipee!  We'll stay in a hotel from Thursday onward until we leave at 00:00 on Sunday on the Alaska Marine Highway System.  The trip to/from Juneau & Bellingham is typically three days, but I was able to split this up into 2 segments so we have 2 day break in Ketchikan.  This is great because Millie would go nuts stuck in a car for three days straight.  (See my post on the trip coming here.)  I don't expect there will be a whole lot to do in Ketchikan, but hope we find some nice trails to walk Millie on.

We arrive in Bellingham, WA on 2/15 and will drive 11 days straight until we get to our hotel in Herndon, VA.  The nightly stops planned as of the moment is this:


2/15/2013 Portland, OR
2/16/2013 Boise, ID
2/17/2013 Salt Lake City, UT
2/18/2013 Bryce Canyon City, UT
2/19/2013 Flagstaff, AZ
2/20/2013 Alberquerque, NM
2/21/2013 Shamrock, TX
2/22/2013 Little Rock, AR
2/23/2013 Nashville, TN
2/24/2013 Roanoke, VA

I went back and forth on what route to take and some how ended up with the above.  Unfortunately, I didn't make any plans for an extended stop anywhere.  Most of the driving days will be short though (~5 hrs), so I do hope to make good use of some mornings and afternoons to see things.  We do have a plan to stop into Bryce Canyon, Petrified National Forest, and Smokey Mountain NP.  We might throw some other things in as time permits.  I only wish more National Parks allow pets on the trails.  I don't really want to go somewhere on a road trip and have to leave Millie in the car.

In addition to seeing some sights, I found out some of my friends live near some of the places I'm stopping, so I am making plans to try to catch some of them also.  This probably means the most relaxing part of the trip will be the ferry ride, but it should be a fun road trip.

The only thing I really have to worry about now is weather.  I think I'll be fine down South but am not quite sure what I'll see around Boise and Salt Lake City.  I want to take my winter tires off now since I won't be able to switch 'em out until mid-April possibly if I drive with it.  Hopefully I'll get lucky and not hit much snow....




1 comment:

  1. How funny - I was THIS CLOSE to a trip to Nashville on 2/22, to be there while you were passing through. I'll have to wait to catch up with you when you get to Hampton Roads....

    ReplyDelete