Saturday, January 19, 2013

Top 10 Things Left Undone

I debated for a long time whether I should leave Alaska because there were things I wanted to do here that I haven't done yet.  I think I packed in quite a bit in two years, but with weather often being bad, it was hard to do much more than I did.  Here are the top 10 things I may have to come back to Alaska for:

1.  Chilkoot Trail

The breath taking views of the drive over White Pass this past fall inspired me to look into doing the Chilkoot Trail.  I was aiming to do this 4-5 day hike this coming August, but now that I am leaving Alaska, I'm not so sure I want to come back so soon.

2.  Aurora Viewing

Although Juneau does get the occasional aurora borealis, I was not so lucky to see any from my downtown home.  I did try once to go up to Chena Hot Springs but a weather cancellation of our flight led to cancellation of the whole trip.

3.  Glacier Bay National Park

The Glacier Bay National Park was a hop, skip, and a jump from Juneau; yet I did not make it.  I went on a glacier cruise of the Prince William Sound and the Tracy Arm fjord cruise in 2012, so I was putting Glacier Bay off for another year.

4.  Fishing

I was planning on getting into it last summer but it was such a crappy summer I couldn't get motivated.  I could've fished off shore, in my friend's boat, or on an organized fishing trip.  I am in the prime state for fishing and I didn't go at all (except for the one time a friend let me cast his line).

5.  Polar Bear Viewing

Well, this wasn't for lack of trying.  A big reason why I went to Barrow back in May was because I was hoping to see polar bears in the wild.  Didn't see any though....

6.  More Hikes

There are some hikes in Juneau I didn't get around to, but there were a lot more I want to do in Central Alaska.  The road trip I did in May covered a lot of ground in a short period of time, so it only gave me a taste of the various places we stopped in.  I think I got most of the 'sights' in, but there were so many places where I would have loved to spend more time and do some hikes.

7.  Katmai National Park

Katmai National Park is known as one of the best places for brown bear viewing in the world.  I saw a few brown bears in Denali, but seeing a bunch all at once would be neat too.

8.  Drive from Haines to Whitehorse

Most people do the Haines-Whitehorse-Skagway triangle but I ended up doing a Skagway to Whitehorse round trip.  It was a beautiful drive, but I hear the drive from Haines is also beautiful.

9.  Train Rides

The train rides in Alaska boasts wonderful views.  White Pass & Yukon Route Summit Excursion and the Aurora Winter Train, where two I had wanted to do.

10.  More Cabin stays

Although the hike to Eagle Glacier was dreadful, I really enjoyed our stay at the cabin there.  I tried to book another cabin weekend but that got washed out by a down pour.  I didn't get around to booking anymore cabin stays so I didn't get my fill of it while here.

No comments:

Post a Comment