Monday, March 28, 2011

Airport Dike Trail


I mentioned this trail briefly in a previous post on dog-friendly walks in the winter.  However, I hadn't done the whole trail when I wrote that post because it was sooo friggin' cold when I went.  Now that I have done the whole trail, I realize I didn't really do it justice.  Going out, there are beautiful mountains across the wide open wetlands to your right and to your front.  The view is fantastic.  You can also go out into the wetlands but you have to watch out for the tides or else you could get stuck out there somewhere when the tides come in.

The trail is party gravel in places, and it can get a bit muddy while the snow is melting (doesn't seem to get too icy).  These days it has been mostly clear though.  The trail is only a mile and a bit long (so maybe 2~2.5 miles out and back) with no elevation gain, so it is great if you are looking for a quick stroll after work or something easy.  It seems to be a popular place for the locals though.  Many dogs running around - some on-leash, some off-leash.  I've been here a few times already when I need to exercise Millie and don't have much time for a longer walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment