Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Family Trip to Orlando

Disney World

Last week I went to Orlando to see my two brothers and their family, who went there as a family vacation.  I initially didn't plan to go, but couples weeks beforehand I got a little home sick and changed my mind.  Despite dreading the airfare, long trip, and walking around theme parks in 90 degrees heat, I actually had a good time. 

The trip out of Alaska to East coast is mostly a two day ordeal.  I have to first fly to Seattle on Alaska Air (only airline in & out of Juneau), stay overnight, and then catch a morning flight out to Orlando via Chicago on United.  On the way out I used miles from Delta and United so that portion was free.  The fare back on Alaska cost me about $600 but I also paid $150 for a last minute upgrade to 1st for the Orlando-Seattle leg.  The non-stop flight to Seattle from Orlando is a whopping 6 hours.  I hate flying already (see article Boycott Flying).  Since there's no fast lane for 1st class or an Alaska Air lounge at Orlando, all I really got was free check-in bag, nice dinner, and lots of leg room.  But it was oh so worth it.  It's not my first time flying business/first class, but I sure do appreciate it a lot more these days.  I'm not sure I can do a long haul in coach anymore.

In Orlando, I only had 4 full days to spend with my family.  I've already been to Universal and Disney a few times already, so I didn't really care to go, but one of my brothers hadn't been, so we all took the hit hoping to show him a good time.  Just as expected, it was hot and muggy in Florida this time of year.  I'm not too keen on Universal, but I had a good time in Disney.  I think I enjoyed Disney more this time around because the kids were enjoying themselves.  Our dad also joined us for Disney, so it was a nice family outing.

The other two days were spent relaxing at a small waterpark in our resort.  Since coordinating a day out in our household is like a huge military production, two days at the theme parks were enough.  We did hit Downtown Disney one night though.  I could've used a few more days outside of Alaska though.

One thing that took me by surprise was how much I enjoyed being out of Alaska.  (I also spent few hours in Seattle.) All of the things I took for granted in the past - shops, restaurants, people - now bring me so much more joy then before.  After being in a quiet place for 3 months, the hustle bustle of the cities were nice.  I know that the grass isn't greener, but I think I just enjoy variety in my life.  In many ways being in Juneau suits my lifestyle, but I can't help but want to try living everywhere.  So far I've managed a move every 2-3 years.  Will I ever settle down somewhere?

1 comment:

  1. Good question, Diana!... I hope you will find your spot on Earth.

    Greetings,
    Łukasz

    ReplyDelete